Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Manypeeplia Upsidownia

While surfing late last night I came across this great compilation of Edward Lear's work: http://www.bencourtney.com/ebooks/lear/index_omnibus.html#bo (Thank you, Ben Courtney).

The Courtship of the Yonghy Bonghy Bo has always been one of my favorite poems. What surprised me as I scanned through the site, was how many of his poems & limericks I remembered and how many of them were favorites of mine when I was young. I'd venture to say that about 80% of the poems I liked the most as a kid were Lear's; something I had never realized before.

I also remembered that I never liked his illustrations. And I still don't. At least not those accompanying his poetry. But I discovered that I love his Nonsense Botany sketches and the titles he gave them. Such as this one:

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Skinnamarink e-dink e-dink. Skinnamarink e-doo.